Craig Barritt/Getty Images
Hudson announced her interest before singing a medley of Franklin's hits.
Guess what flavor brew we’re enjoying this morning:
• Aretha Franklin has yet to settle on a lead role for her upcoming biopic, but Jennifer Hudson made it clear yesterday that she wants the job. The Grammy and Oscar winner, who performed at Hearst’s 125th anniversary party, didn’t tap dance around the issue; rather she confidently announced to the crowd she wants the role before singing “Oh Me Oh My.” Hudson then went on to sing a medley of hits from Franklin and the late Whitney Houston. Do you think Hudson is the best pick for Franklin’s upcoming biopic? [Page Six]
• Chad Johnson says he’s taking anger management classes to better himself. In an interview with James Brown he said, “I’m trying to find out how can I channel my anger when I’m in situations to where I would pop off.” A Florida judge made his and Evelyn’s divorce final yesterday. [TMZ]
• Are you ready for a new Destiny’s Child album? Well, it’s not quite new, but it’ll make DC3 fans happy. Billboard announced the group will release a greatest hits album, Playlist, on October 9. The album will mark the 15th anniversary of the group’s first number one single, “No, No, No (Part 2).” [Billboard]
• Yesterday, court documents revealed that mogul Diddy paid $850K to settle victims’ claims from the infamous 1999 club shooting that left three club-goers wounded. Diddy was acquitted of gun charges. However, Jamal “Shyne” Barrow was convicted of shooting two people. [NY Post]
• American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe says despite rumors that Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey are feuding on set, he says they’re “colliding in a good way.” He told reporters, “Nicki is very deferential to Mariah. [Nicki] says, ‘You do realize you’re auditioning in front of this incredible singer here, why would you want to choose her song to sing?'” [People]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!