Here’s what we’re chatting about:
- As we all know, “For Colored Girls” opened over the weekend. The star-studded film earned an estimated $20 million — but it wasn’t enough to be number one. It landed at an impressive number three… it’s still great nonetheless. Now that it’s out, time to consider award season. Kimberly Elise and Loretta Devine should definitely be in the running for Oscars and Golden Globes, right? [Hollywood News]
- Alert the boys! Diddy is shutting down his Sean John Flagship store in New York. His fabulous Fifth Avenue store will close on December 30th. But no worries, he signed a great deal with Macy’s to carry his merchandise. [Coco Perez]
- Looks like everyone is trying to make a dollar off a celebrity these days. In the new year, Bluewater Comics will release an unauthorized bio comic book about Beyonce. “Fame Beyonce” will follow the songstress from her early days in Destiny’s child to the present. The same company has done comic books on both Lady Gaga and Ellen Degeneres.[Black Voices]
- And the Lil’ Kim vs. Nicki Minaj drama continues! Lil’ Kim got out of pocket at a recent concert and said, “I will erase this bitch’s social security number! First of all, I don’t even need a record right now, I’ll kill that bitch with my old s–t!” Someone needs to remind Kim it’s not that serious. Let’s hope it’s all for publicity. [EURweb]
- Sherri Shepherd does an excellent job raising her son, Jeffery. Over the weekend, the two gave back to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation by simply playing Kinect for XBox 360. Who said spending time with your kid wouldn’t be easy? Great job at setting an example, Sherri! [Black Celebrity Kids]
- Janet Jackson is hopping on the Gaga bandwagon. She told Larry King that she loves Gaga and that she reminds her of Grace Jones. “I think she is very talented; she writes her own music and has a wonderful voice…” Actually, it’s hard not to like Gaga. But comparing her to Grace Jones? Janet, you may have gone a bit far with that one. [Perez Hilton]
Check out Jill Scott’s live performance of “A Long Walk” at the 2010 ESSENCE Music Festival on our new Vevo channel.
- Shirley Caesar has been named the 2011 BMI Trailblazer Honoree. Go Shirley! She will be recognized at a luncheon in January for her accomplishments in Gospel music. Who doesn’t love a good Shirley Caesar song?