- Drake’s debut album “Thank Me Later” snagged the number one spot on the Billboard Top 200. [Billboard]
- Alfre Woodard made a “True Blood” cameo on June 20. The Emmy-winning actress says she’d be open to being on the HBO series more often. [AOLBV]
- The iPhone 4 is in stores today. If you’re not one of the many who camped out in front of Apple, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Best Buy or AT&T, you could try eBay to get your hands on the new gadget. If that doesn’t work, you may be out of luck until a new shipment arrives. [IW]
- The Jackson family’s Encino, California compound is under tight lockdown in prep for the anniversary of the superstar’s death. [TMZ]
- Jackson’s sister Latoya got together with her Pop King brother’s pet chimpanzee for an Animal Plant documentary, “Michael Jackson & Bubbles: Untold Story.” [Marquee]
- Harlem is set to get some new swank. W Hotels announced it will open a new Aloft Hotel — the hotel chain’s younger, hipper sister — in the Uptown Manhattan neighborhood. The new spot is expected to boost Harlem’s tourism and economy. [NYTimes]
- Mariah Carey’s veterinarian is suing the award-winning singer/actress, claiming that Carey hasn’t paid nearly $30,000 in medical bills for three of her dogs. [WashPo]
- Sunday night’s episode of “The Boondocks” was a Tyler Perry parody that featured a Madea-like character waving a gun and carrying on. Folks are saying the show went too far? Did you watch it? What did you think? [EW]
- M.I.A. says she plans to get married in a white suit. [People]
- The Energy Project’s Tony Schwartz says “Take Back Your Lunch,” pushing folks to take at least 15 minutes for their lunch breaks. A-hem… that’s away from your desk. [HP]
- Happy birthday to Solange Knowles! The singer/songwriter/ DJ turns 24 today.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!