The veteran singer claims to be a victim of "terrible mismanagement."
See what we’re chatting about over coffee:
• Dionne Warwick filed for bankruptcy in New Jersey court on March 21 over several tax liens dating back to the 1990’s. To date, Warwick owes more than a million dollars in back taxes. The singer’s attorney Daniel Stolz told Rolling Stone that Warwick had a business manager who mishandled her funds for several years. “We’ve found that we had no other resort other than to file bankruptcy so that we could get this off her back finally,” said Stolz. According to documents, Warwick earns $20,950 a month and her expenses add up to $20,940—leaving with her with $10 a month in net income. “She was an innocent victim of terrible mismanagement,” said Stolz. [Rolling Stone]
• American Idol judge Nicki Minaj says the chances of a male becoming the next American Idol winner are slim to none. In fact, the outspoke judge says that Kree Harrison, Angie Miller and Candice Glover are her top picks. “I think that outside of their voices, they’ve won people over already, which I think is evident in just what I see on Twitter with my fans,” said Minaj. “Those three seem to have really made an impact.” [Hollywood Reporter]
• The 2013 MTV Video Music Awards will be held in Brooklyn’s Barclay Center—the first show outside Los Angeles in four years. The network announced the move and says the impending show will take place on August 25. [MTV]
• In other award show news, the 2014 Academy Awards are being moved to the month of March. The Academy said they want to avoid conflicts with the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The new show date will be Sunday, March 2. The following year, the Oscars will air in its normal month of February. [Reuters]
• Today Las Supper’s debut album Back to the Future hits stores. The group featuring Big Daddy Kane boasts old-school flavored influences from the Temptations, Bobby Womack, James Brown and more. Check out their entire album here!
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!