The former NFL star claims his marriage is "irretrievably broken."
See why we’re grinding our own coffee beans this morning:
• Chad Johnson has filed his own divorce papers in a Florida court. The former NFL star says his marriage is “irretrievably broken,” according to TMZ. In addition, Johnson wants to honor the prenup agreement the couple signed before getting hitched. The star also wants a judge to block Evelyn Lozada’s request that he pay for her legal fees. Johnson allegedly head-butted his wife of six weeks in August. Immediately following the incident he lost his job with Miami Dolphins and his reality show deal with VH1. [TMZ]
• President Obama will make a guest appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman next week. The commander-in-chief will stop by the talk show before heading off to a fundraiser with Jay-Z and Beyoncé. Next week will mark Obama’s seventh appearance on the show since taking office in 2008. [EURweb]
• Trayvon Martin’s family will appear on Dr. Phil today. The famous counselor will help the family cope with many of their ongoing issues related to their son’s death. In a statement Dr. Phil said, “They’re left with the questions about what should they or could they have done to prevent this. They’re trying to make sense out of this tragic loss and they’re lost.” [Orlando Sentinel]
• The 2011-2012 Ovation Award nominations were announced and The Color Purple: The Musical was recognized in 13 different categories including Best Production of a Musical. The awards are scheduled to be given out on November 12 in Los Angles. [Hollywood Reporter]
• Kanye West led the pack of nominations at the 2012 Hip-Hop Awards. The rapper, whose Cruel Summer album is set to hit stores next week, is nominated for 13 awards. The ceremony will air on October 7. [Vibe]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!