VH1 decided to hang on to Brandy, Ray J, Chilli and all the "Basketball Wives" for another season. Speaking of "Wives," Gloria Govan's got a not-so-clean rap sheet. We think we've found our Memorial Day weekend anthem and we might trade in our short shorts for easy, breezy long dresses. Plus, we've got plenty of baby talk -- some interesting, some shocking -- and Drake and Alicia Keys get together for "Fireworks." Here's what you had to say: Keonte commented via Facebook: "I hate to say it, but I'm going to watch all of them. Reality television is my weakness." Kara wrote via Facebook: "I enjoyed "Brandy & Ray J" and "What Chili Wants" so I'm excited!"
- “Celebreality” ruler VH1 is bringing back “Basketball Wives,” “Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business” and “What Chilli Wants” for second seasons. [VH1]
- Remember the Black male high school graduates from Chicago’s Urban Prep Academy who were all accepted to college? The school just announced that all 107 of them are planning on attending secondary schools. [AOLBV]
- According to a report by USA Swimming Foundation, 70 percent of African-American children don’t know how to swim. Black Olympic gold medalist Cullen Jones is doing something about that through the organization’s Make a Splash program. [WSJ]
- Estelle wants to “Fall in Love.” Add this track to your summer “get right” playlist. [EstelleMusic]
- Studies have found that Black women have a lower pregnancy rate following in vitro fertilization with fresh embryos than White women do. However, new reports reveal that Black women fare the same as White women when fertilized with frozen embryos. [Reuters]
- More married women prefer sterilization in the U.S. than elsewhere. Only 16 percent of hitched ladies are on the pill, compared to 29 percent in the U.K. and 40 percent in the Netherlands and France. [MSNBC]
- Moms, just be glad your baby isn’t addicted to cigarettes. A two-year-old boy from Indonesia is up to 40 cigarettes a day. [Momlogic]
- Samuel L. Jackson is in New York this week, auditioning for a Katori Hall play about Martin Luther King Jr. called “The Mountaintop.” If he gets the gig, he’ll be paid $50,000 a week. [NYMag]
- Spoiler alert: SJP says the scene when Carrie and her old flame Aiden run into each other is her “favorite” from “SATC2.” [MTV]
- It appears that “Basketball Wives” star Gloria Govan — who’s engaged to Orlando Magic player Matt Barnes — has a not-so-clean record. The reality TV star was involved in a “Cash-for-Grades” scam at Cali’s Diablo Valley College. [AOLBV]
- Even the internet is not infinite. The World Wide Web is running out of IP addresses. [CNN]
- Micro mini skirts and body-con dresses may be all the rage, but some ladies are keeping it chic below the knee. [NYTimes]
- Drake’s got a new jam featuring Alicia Keys called “Fireworks.” Like it?
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!