"I'm really missing my mommy today," tweeted Bobbi Kristina.
Here’s why we can’t wait for our coffee to cool:
- Whitney Houston would be blowing out 49 candles today and in honor of her birthday, daughter Bobbi Kristina, tweeted well-wishes for her late mom. “Once it hits 12 am mommy it’s your birthday & I am going 2 celebrate it 2 thee fullest!” tweeted the 19-year-old. Bobbi K also tattooed her mother’s initials on her wrists. “Bc YOU deserve it damn it, YOU deserve Nothing but the BEST!” she wrote. [E! Online]
- Kevin Hart will host the 2012 MTV Music Awards on September 6, which will feature a performance by Alicia Keys. Hart’s first promo video features a hilarious skit with Kanye West and Kim Kardashian. [MTV]
- R&B singer Anita Baker is back in the studio for her first album in seven years. Only Forever is featuring a new concept, she says, of walking into a digital universe with an analog heart. “We’re kind of marrying the two,” Baker said. “I was just very focused on getting some analog energy in there somewhere. So it’s a lovely bridge that I’m trying to build tech-wise as well as musically.” Her first single is a revamp of Tyrese’s song “Lately.” [The BoomBox]
- Gabby Douglas’s mother Natalie Hawkins is speaking out about the controversy surrounding her daughter’s hair. “It’s really been African-American women that have come out and attacked her,” she tells Fashionista.com. “They don’t know about gymnastics. She has to keep her hair in a ponytail 28-30 hours a week.” Hawkins said she started hearing talk about her daughter’s hair earlier this year and had a stylist come do Gabby’s hair before the Olympics. “We put all this effort into getting her hair done and they still didn’t like it!” [Fashionista]
- R&B icon Valerie Simpson will be performing a tribute concert to her late husband, songwriter Nick Ashford, this Friday in New York City. Together, Ashford and Simpson’s created hits like “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing,” and “Solid (As a Rock).” The show will be held at the Lincoln Center at 7 p.m. [BroadwayWorld]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!