BET plans Aaliyah tribute special and John Legend denies stealing another writer's song.
Good morning! Enjoy your morning cup of joe as you read today’s top news.
- BET is planning to air a tribute special honoring the late R&B singer Aaliyah. August 25 marks the 10th anniversary of her untimely death. There’s no word yet on when the tribute special will air. [That Grape Juice]
- We previously reported that Andre 3000 was set to play guitar icon Jimi Hendrix in a biopic, but unfortunately, no such film is in the works. Experience Hendrix, the group that administers Hendrix’s posthumous affairs, has confirmed that without permission from Hendrix’s estate, there will be no biopic. [Hip-Hop Wired]
- Remember when we told you that John Legend was being sued for copyright infringement? John responded to the lawsuit via Twitter, saying, “I never have and never will steal another writer’s song. Never heard this dude’s song until yesterday. The case has no merit.” [Singersroom]
- Boyz II Men is celebrating 20 years in music with the release of a new double album. The CD entitled “Twenty” will contain 10 new songs plus 10 remakes of their classic hits including “End of the Road,” “I’ll Make Love to You,”and “Bended Knee.” The album will be sold exclusively at Walmart this fall. [Rap Up]
- Could Marlo Hampton be joining the season four cast of “The Real Housewives of Atlanta”? Neither Bravo nor Hampton will confirm her participation, but she’s been seen hanging tight with the housewives and attended a recent charity event where she was introduced as a “TV personality.” Hmm… we’ll keep our eyes open for updates on this one. [Straight from the A]
- Lenny Kravitz is working on a project to design a new luxury hotel in Miami. The musician’s design firm, Kravitz Design Inc., will create deluxe bungalow and penthouse suites in the SLS Hotel, which will open next year in South Beach. [EURweb]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!