Demonstrators confront police during a protest following the release of a video showing Chicago Police officer Jason Van Dyke shooting and killing Laquan McDonald on November 24, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. Van Dyke was charged today with first degree murder for the October 20, 2014 shooting in which McDonald was hit with 16 bullets.

Scott Olson/Getty Images

Two years after the 17-year-old was struck 16 times when an officer opened fire, the Chicago police department is making changes.

Rachaell Davis
Oct, 12, 2016

The Chicago Police Department is finally making changes in the way officers handle citizens during arrests.

The new excessive force policy comes as a result of an ongoing investigation by the Justice Department that began with the police killing of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, who was struck 16 times when an officer opened fire on him during an encounter. Video footage of the shooting later revealed that McDonald was walking away from the officer when he was shot.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.

According to CBS Chicago, the new policy requires that officers "use a slower, more cautious" approach when it comes to deadly force. As part of the new restrictions, Chicago law enforcement is also required to reserve the use of excessive or deadly force when there is an "immediate threat" posed by a fleeing suspect -- a slight change from the previous policy which permitted officers to open on any suspect who "poses a threat." 

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson says the ultimate goal as to improve accountability within the department.

"The goal is to make everybody accountable in the Police Department, from me on down to the last probationary police officer," Johnson told reporters during a press conference last week. "That’s the goal." 

While implementing changes to hold every officer accountable is certainly a step in the right direction, the ultimate test will be in whether or not the officers follow the new protocol once it's in place.