- It’s official. Brandy will be on “Dancing with the Stars” this fall. We’ve always loved her voice and her acting chops, so it should be interesting to see her bust a move. She’ll be competing against Rick Fox, Margaret Cho, Michael Bolton and more. [ABC]
- Halle Berry’s 1997 car accident has everything to do with her charity work, she revealed during a lunch at Ron Pearlman’s home in the Hamptons. She was inspired to help battered women after completing 250 hours of community service for leaving the scene of the accident. Berry has been working closely with L.A. charity the Jenesse Center, which helps women and families affected by domestic violence. [NYPost]
- LeBron James has formally filed papers in court, terminating claims that Leicester Stovell is his father. Both he and his mother aren’t buying it. Stovell claims that James’ family is covering up his paternity. [CNN]
- Venus Williams’ return to the U.S. Open proved to be amazing. Despite having just recovered from an injured knee, she won her opening match against Roberta Vinci 6-4 6-1, wearing a little black dress with a flapper-style fringed skirt. She calls it her “evening dress.” We’re rooting for you, Venus! [NYDN]
- And the bro-mance gets stronger. Kanye West and Justin Bieber finally pulled off their collaboration. Kanye remixed Bieber’s “Runaway Love” over a RZA beat while adding Raekwon on the track. Thoughts? [Gawker]
- The Louis Vuitton Don is also gearing up for an epic collaboration. West and Jay-Z are coming together to put out a five-song album entitled, “Watch the Throne.” He has already dropped a track from it called “Monster” featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj. [Perez]
- How many PR firms does it take to clean up Tiki Barber’s tarnished image? The former Giants player, who left his pregnant wife for former TV intern Traci Johnson, hired a third agency, 5WPR, to put a positive spin on things. [Pg6]
- R. Kelly took it way back to the early days of soul for his music video for “When a Woman Loves.” [B]
- “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” reunion last night was anything but calm. Teresa reportedly yelled at Danielle when she mentioned that she “doesn’t acknowledge” her nephew. Did you watch it? [SPI]
- Did you miss breakout artist Jazmine Sullivan? The new video to her song “Holding You Down” is a tribute to the golden era of hip hop. Peep Doug E. Fresh, Peppa, Pete Rock and Missy Elliott in the “House Party” style montage.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!