Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) is distancing himself from his previous statements about changing the nature of his campaign and slowing down his pace following a heart attack last week, insisting that he will get back into the swing of things.
“I misspoke the other day. I said a word I should not have said and media drives me a little bit nuts to make a big deal about it,” Sanders said during an exclusive interview on NBC Nightly News. “We’re going to get back into the groove of a very vigorous campaign, I love doing rallies and I love doing town meetings.”
However, the 78-year-old acknowledged that he wants “to start off slower and build up and build up and build up.”
It is a change to the message that the Vermont senator sent out on Tuesday, where he told reporters “We were doing, in some cases, five or six meetings a day, you know, three or four rallies…I don’t think I’m going to do that.”
According to NBC, Sanders also took the time to address criticism his campaign has faced for not being transparent about his health scare in the first place.
“That’s nonsense,” Sanders said. “I don’t know what people think campaigns are, you know we’re dealing with all kinds of doctors and we wanted to have a sense of what the hell was going on really.”
“So the first thing that we’re trying to do is understand what’s going on and not run to The New York Times and have to report every 15 minutes,” he added. “You know, this is not a baseball game. So I think we acted absolutely appropriately.”