Let's face it, protective styles aren't always the easiest to maintain. They can be super time consuming or extremely expensive; weaves and wigs can cost in the triple digits while box braids can take several hours to complete. Sometimes we have to get creative.
Traditionally, for those of us tight on time and cash, we haven't had many options when it came to DIY protective styles. Thankfully YouTube has completely changed that. There's now a whole community of women, with diverse hair types, that we can learn from and share with.
We've scoured YouTube to find 17 of the best, and easiest, protective style tutorials that look amazing and are easy to replicate. From Bantu knots to simple twists, these tutorials will get you and your tresses ready for the warmer weeks ahead. Keep scrolling to learn everything you need to know about creating protective styles.
1. Protective Styles + Accessories — Ryanne Bowers
2. Protective Styles Using Flaxseed Gel — MahoganyCurls
3. Simple Dutch Braids — NaturalMetra
4. No-Heat Blow Out — TheChicNatural
5. Protective Styles For 4c Hair — Finding Faye
6. Fluffy Long Pony — Ameisha Maria
7. Sleek Ponytail On 4c Hair — Chizi Duru
8. Rubber Band Box Braids — Tanieya & Jeff
9. Clip In 'Fro — TwinGodesses
10. Long Rubberband 5-Minute Ponytail — Channing Lilly
11. Easy Two Strand Twists — Naptural85
12. 15 Ways to Style Two Strand Twists — NaturalBeautyBasics
13. DIY Faux Locs — Naptural85
14. Defined Bantu Knot Out Breakdown — Daye La Soul
15. Mini Twist Protective Style — MIIX MII
16. Quick and Easy Styles For Natural Hair — Sadora Paris
17. Super Easy High Bun— Joanna Kinuthia