Dr. Nia Malika Pole started her natural hair journey eight years ago when she became very ill. Taking care of her relaxed hair wasn’t a priority. One day she walked into a stylist’s booth in Atlanta and the stylist cut off her damaged, permed hair. It was the most freeing and scary thing she had ever done.
My hair is…natural and loc’d!
I started my (loc) journey… October 6, 2011.
My current hair regimen includes…
• Going to my loctician every 4-6 weeks for a wash, condition, color, re-twist, and style
• Spraying my roots and hair with water and lightly with leave in conditioners
• Washing and setting my hair with curlers to get it curly between re-twists
• Sleeping on a satin pillowcase or in a bonnet
My favorite hair products include…
• WATER! WATER! WATER!
• Jamaican Mango and Lime Sproil Spray Oil
• Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Refresher Spray
• Jamaican Black Castor Oil (for my edges)
The secret to having healthy hair is… Moisture! I try to make sure my locs don’t get dry by spritzing it with water. Sleeping with a satin bonnet or on a satin pillowcase is important because cotton dries out our hair.
My biggest hair challenge is… Remembering to wear a bonnet every single night! Honestly, I’ve gone to sleep many nights on my cotton pillowcase with no bonnet, scarf or any other hair protection. My sister recently gave me a silk pillowcase and now I don’t have to worry about that as much.
I love my hair because… It makes me (feel) free! I’m not afraid of rain, wind, or working out. I don’t have to sleep cute. Accepting an invitation to an event is not succeeded by me thinking, “I have to get my hair done” My hair is always done! I truly understand how fabulous my natural hair is!
Want your hair journey featured on ESSENCE.com? Tag your Instagram selfies with #MySelfieJourney and send answers to the questions above to firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful faces!