Wellness vlogger Chemese learned she was allergic to para-phenylenediamine (PPD) in 2014. Para-phenylenediamine, a chemical variant found in most hair dyes, has been the source of many allergic reactions due to over-exposure. Many of these reactions have led to hospitalizations. Those allergic to PPD are advised to use only 100% henna or indigo dyes for hair coloring but not all brands claiming to be 100% pure are truthful.
Why Ayurvedic Treatments Help Promote Growth
Unfortunately Chemese was a victim of this mishap. Wanting to rid her grays, Chemese went to a salon in Austin, Texas where she was told the henna was 100% pure. Here’s what happened:
“She [the stylist] first did a strand test to make sure I didn’t have any reaction which I didn’t,” she says. “So she proceeded to apply the henna to my hair. I left the salon with the henna still in my hair because I had to let it sit for two to four hours. Four hours later I washed it out. It took about an hour and a half because I wanted to make sure that it was completely out. I fell in love with the results but that was short-lived because two hours after washing it out my scalp started itching and burning. Which leads me to my current situation. My ears are red and swollen along with my face is swollen (I look like a monster). My scalp is on fire and it won’t stop itching. Needless to say I’m having allergic reaction so that henna couldn’t have been natural.”
If you been following me for a while you know that I tried to be as transparent as possible. You will also know that my…Posted by The Chemese Project on Wednesday, March 9, 2016
Chemese shared pictures of the allergic reaction on YouTube and Facebook to inform others that she was unable to see for two days and is still recovering from the fiasco. Lesson to learn: make sure you are using 100% henna especially if you are allergic to PPD. Or, maybe just avoid it entirely.