It’s Women Empowerment Wednesday and #EssenceFest alum, DJ Beverly Bond is our featured power player! Her brand of #blackgirlmagic uplifts and empowers not only the girls who attend BGR’s Queens Camp but every woman and girl who tunes in to the annual Black Girls Rock! awards ceremony. Here are a few reasons why Beverly rocks!
- Beverly came to New York at age 17 and became a very successful model, working for some of fashion’s top brands prior to delving into the world of DJing.
- She quickly became one of the entertainment industries most sought after DJs. Spinning for everyone from Prince to Jay Z to Martha Stewart.
- In 2006, DJ Beverly Bond founded Black Girls Rock! As the Founder and Executive Director of the non-profit organization, she empowers and mentors young women and girls with a mission of building their self-esteems and assisting in their healthy development.
- In 2010, she partnered with BET to televise the Black Girls Rock! annual award show while serving as Creator & Executive Producer.
- Beverly strives to promote the arts for young women as well as to encourage dialogue and analysis of the ways in which women of color are portrayed in the media. She says, “It’s unfortunate that a lot of the message being directed to young girls is that they’re only worth their physical selves. There has to be a counter to that.”