The two-part Baz Luhrmann production was one of the streaming service’s most expensive shows.
In a rare move, Netflix has decide to cancel Baz Luhrmann’s The Get Down.
The announcement came Wednesday night, prompting fans to take to social media to express their outrage.
According to Deadline, The Get Down was one of Netflix’s most expensive shows. The 12-part first season cost almost $120 million dollars and the show faced a difficult pre-production and production process including delays.
Back in April, Luhrmann told Vulture that season two was already being developed, saying, "To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season. Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it. The issue is, and it is a simple truth: I never saw myself as the showrunner.”
And, it seems Luhrmann’s decision not to return as showrunner may have been the deciding factor in the show’s cancellation. The Get Down creator told fans on Facebook, "When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years. This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions… But the simple truth is, I make movies.”
He went on to add that various ideas had been discussed in order to continue the project with a possible stage show mentioned.
For now, however, it’s wrap for the Netflix series.