It’s been four months since WGN America’s Underground went off the air and the news of the series ending went public. As we previously reported Sinclair Broadcast Group’s acquisition of WGN America in a $3.9 billion deal that led to the show’s demise after two seasons.
In addition to the actors voicing their upset, fans of the show hopped on social media to see what other networks may be interested in picking up the period drama. While many thought Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Network would be a good fit, Winfrey was candid and said the show —that costs millions to produce— would be too expensive to manage.
On Wednesday, John Legend shared a post on Twitter, compelling network’s to take on the show that tackled everything from slavery to colorism.
“In its first two seasons Underground was a undeniable hit series, setting rating records for WGN America, receiving rave reviews and sparking conversation in the media,” the Grammy award-winner said.
“It was screened at the White House and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture… yet here we are, still fighting for a future for the series.”
Adding, “Putting a spotlight on these types of stories creates an opportunity for recognition, understanding, discussion and learning, bringing a humanity and context that allows people to experience our past and present in a way that is not possible in other media.”
No word on if there’s been any interested bidders, but the fight is a worthy one.Share :