BERTRAND GUAY/Getty Images
Nearly two years after Princeâ€™s death, weâ€™re still learning more about what led to the demise of one of the greatest musicians of all time.
On Monday, The Associated Press obtained Princeâ€™s confidential toxicology report and had it analyzed by experts who concluded the singer had an â€śexceedingly highâ€ť amount of fentanyl in his system when he passed away.
â€śThe amount in his blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches,â€ť explained Dr. Lewis Nelson, chairman of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Nelson called the high amount â€śa pretty clear smoking gunâ€ť that the potent drug, which is 50 times more powerful than heroin, directly led to Princeâ€™s untimely death.
According to the report, elevated levels of the drug were found Princeâ€™s blood, liver and stomach, which could hint at long-term use. While chronic fentanyl users can often build up an increased tolerance to the drug, the amount found in the musicianâ€™s system â€śseem to represent overdose or fatal toxicity cases,â€ť according to The APâ€™s experts.
Prince was found dead in an elevator in his home on April 21, 2016. After suffering a hip injury years ago, friends say the musician, who shied away from alcohol and recreational drugs, lived in constant pain and turned to painkillers to find relief. After his death, investigators found â€śa sizable amountâ€ť of unprescribed pills in Princeâ€™s home, which may have contributed to his accidental overdose
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!