The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department announced on Wednesday that they still plan to keep the Tupac Shakur murder case open following a confession that was given earlier this year.
BET docuseries Death Row Chronicles, which aired in February, featured an interview with the uncle of a one-time suspect in Shakur’s 1996 drive-by murder.
In the documentary, former gang member Keffe D, whose real name is Duane Keith Davis, recalled being in the front seat of a white Cadillac in Las Vegas when someone sitting in the back seat opened fire on the vehicle that Shakur was riding in.
Though he wouldn’t say who fired the shots, police had identified Davis’ nephew Orlando Anderson and DeAndre Smith as the backseat passengers. The New York Daily News reports that Anderson was the prime suspect for the murder before dying in a shootout in 1998.
According to Las Vegas police, this information is enough to keep the case open, Vibe reports.
“We are aware of the statements made in a BET interview regarding the Tupac case. As a result of those statements we have spent the last several months reviewing the case in its entirety,” the police department said. “Various reports that an arrest warrant is about to be submitted are inaccurate. This case still remains an open homicide case.”
Davis told The Hollywood Reporter that he is speaking up now because of his current medical condition. “People have been pursuing me for 20 years, I’m coming out now because I have cancer, and I have nothing else to lose,” he said. “All I care about now is the truth.”