Kevin Hart Issues Formal Apology To LGBTQ Community
Robin L Marshall/Getty Images
Kevin Hart issued a formal apology to the LGBTQ community on a recent episode of his SiriusXM radio show Straight from The Hart for his dated homophobic tweets that resulted in him being nixed as the host of this year’s Oscars. “Once again, Kevin Hart apologizes for his remarks that hurt members of the LGBTQ community. I apologize,” he said Monday on the air, talking in third person.
Loading the player...
The conversation had a decidedly different tone from his initial reaction to the backlash in which he refused to issue further apologies or clarifications because he felt he had already proven himself to be a changed man. Hart also spoke about how much he had changed, and how much he had learned in the years since he fired off those tweets. The Philadelphia native also addressed why he felt comfortable using the objectionable language presented in the tweets in the first place.

Phillip Faraone/Getty Images

“We thought it was OK to talk like that because that’s how we talked to one another,” Hart explained. “This is wrong now. Because now we’re in a space where I’m around people of the LGBTQ community, and I’m now aware of how these words make them feel, and why they say ‘That sh-t hurt because of what I’ve been through.’” “The fight is the will and want for equality. I’m riding with you guys. I understand you,” he added. “But in the fight for equality, that means that there has to be an acceptance for change. If you don’t want to accept people for their change, then where are you trying to get to the equal part? Where does the equality part come in?” Hart ended his apology by saying, “We have to be understanding and accepting of people and change. Bottom line.”

Michael Rozman/Warner Bros.

The comedian’s apology comes after he stepped down from hosting what he called his dream job, hosting the Oscars, last month. Although last week, Hart said he was still “evaluating” the gig on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, he ultimately decided to decline the opportunity. The Academy of Arts and Sciences producers said this year’s awards show will remain without a host and instead focus on a bevy of A-list presenters. TOPICS: