Man Injured In Nipsey Hussle Shooting Released, Charges Dismissed
Getty images

Kerry Lathan, the man severely wounded in the shooting that killed rapper Nipsey Hussle last month, was released from police custody early Saturday morning, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Inmate Information Center.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the charges against the 56-year-old man, who was critically injured from a bullet striking him in the back and landing near his spinal cord, were also dismissed.

Lathan and Hussle, whose birth name was Ermias Asghedom, were in the parking lot on March 31 outside of Hussle’s Marathon clothing store when police believe Eric Holder began shooting. Hussle died of gunshot wounds while Lathan was injured.

Authorities wouldn’t confirm how Lathan had violated his parole. Still, it’s believed that they argued that Lathan’s presence at the scene of the crime, even as a victim of gun violence, constituted associating with a known gang member because Hussle was previously affiliated with Los Angles’ Rolling 60 crips.

Therefore, it was allegedly a violation of his parole and was arrested following the shooting. When he was discharged from the hospital in a wheelchair, he was sent to a California detention center.

Just months prior, Lathan was released from prison after serving 25 years for a murder charge.

Lathan and his attorney Lauren Noriega said that he was innocent bystander in the heartbreaking tragedy. Noriega told KABC-TV that her client was unaware that Hussle would even be present at the store, despite TMZ reporting that Lathan was at the store to pick up clothes from Hussle.

“He wasn’t there to propose any business to Nipsey,” said Noriega. “He had no idea that Nipsey would be there.”

“This is a straight injustice,” Lathan said ahead of his release in an interview.

Share :
TOPICS: