Attorneys for Jussie Smollett filed a counter lawsuit against the city of Chicago Tuesday, claiming that authorities there “maliciously” prosecuted him in connection to his January attack.
In documents obtained by ESSENCE, Smollett’s attorneys added that their client was investigated “in bad faith” and authorities filed criminal charges against him “without probable cause.”
Back in March, charges against the former Empire star were dropped in connection to an alleged January 29 attack. Smollett claimed that he was attacked in Chicago by two masked men, yelling gay and racial slurs and saying “this is MAGA country.” The actor also said the men poured bleach on him, and put a noose around his neck.
Still, Chicago police accused the Empire star of lying about being the victim of a hate crime and filing a false police report. He was charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct charges, which were later dropped.
Smollett still was ordered to perform community service and forfeit the remainder of his $10,000 bond to Cook County, Illinois.
This new lawsuit is in response to the City of Chicago’s lawsuit, filed back in April, demanding the actor pay $130,000 in penalties.
Smollett’s lawyers said in their filing that the city “is not entitled to recover further costs for services” because Smollett had already given the city $10,000. His attorneys are requesting a jury trial along with monetary damages.
A rep for the Chicago Law Department told ABC News in a statement, “The City stands by its original complaint and will continue to pursue this litigation. The judge in this case has already ruled in our favor once and we fully expect to be successful in defeating these counterclaims.”Share :