NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HOW TO ENTER: The “ESSENCE College Ambassador Search Contest” begins at 12:01 A.M. EDT on August 4, 2015. To enter online, go to www.ESSENCE.com/Campus-Ambassador-Search and follow instructions to submit your materials via microsite drop box. Entries must be received by 5PM EDT August 11, 2015. No entries via postal mail or electronic mail will be considered. Limit one entry per person. If selected to participate in the first round of interviews, applicant will have to submit the following documents via post mail: (a) Academic OR Professional Reference—Suggested letter writers—college professors, current work study employers, college advisor or mentor. Letters must be typed on 8 ½" x 11" paper and include the following: Official University/Company letterhead, Date, Writer’s full name, Business address and phone number, Letter must include the applicant’s name, Relationship to applicant, How many years the writer knows the applicant, Sealed envelope with writer’s signature across the seal; and (b) An Official Academic College/University Transcript (2.8 GPA or Above)—Official transcript must be sent in an official sealed envelope. Documents must be postmarked by August 21, 2014 and received by 11:59 P.M. EST August 28, 2015. If documents are missing any of the above criteria and/or or not received on time, applicant will be disqualified. Semi-Finalists will be asked to submit an MP4 1-2 minute video. Video Entries must be received by 11:59 P.M. EDT September 5, 2015. If selected as a semi-finalist, the video you have submitted, your first name, social media handles and current college/university will be used to populate the voting page. Contest ends 11:59 P.M. EDT on October 2, 2015. Time Inc., and its affiliates are not responsible for lost, late, illegible entries or incomplete entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium or (3) has not won an award.
2. JUDGING: All entries will be judged by a panel of Marketing and Editorial professionals at ESSENCE Magazine. Contestants may be required to undergo a background check and must submit any and all required information in order for the background check to be conducted. Failure to provide any required information may constitute grounds for elimination from the contest.
Round ONE (Written Submission and Resume) will be judged based on the following criteria: Relevant Experience (35%), Creativity (35%), Appropriateness to contest theme (30%).
Round TWO (Academic OR Professional Reference, Transcript and Interview) will be judged based on the following criteria: Document Submissions (25%), Interview- Personality and Poise (25%), Delivery and Communications Skills (25%) and Personal Appearance (25%).
Round THREE (Video Submission and Public Voting) will be judged based on the following criteria: Video Submission- Creativity (35%), Appropriateness to contest theme (35%) and Public Voting- Voting Results (30%). Receiving a high number of votes does not guarantee that you will be a finalist.
Round FOUR (Final Interview) will be judged based on the following criteria: Personality and Poise (40%), Delivery and Communications Skills (40%) and Personal Appearance (20%).
Applicant’s final score will be based upon the following criteria: Total score in Round ONE (25%), total score in Round TWO (25%) total score in Round THREE (25%) and total score in Round FOUR (25%). Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winners will be notified by 10/03/2015 via email and/or telephone.
3. PUBLIC VOTING RULES: For the Selected Semi-Finalists, Voting begins 09/21/2015 at 12PM EDT and ends 09/25/2015 5PM EDT. Limited to (1) one vote per day. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant’s vote ineligible. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any votes cast, including but not limited to suspicion of fraud.
4. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 to 25 years old at the time of entry and currently a full-time Sophomore, Junior or Senior student at an accredited 4-year college/university in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Washington, D.C. (ONLY). Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Time Inc. and its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible.
5. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: Three Winners will become the ESSEENCE College Ambassadors and each will receive a paid Time Inc. Internship valued up to $2,500. Prize does not include travel to any Sponsor-related events nor accommodations during internship period. The Winners will be offered internships during the Fall of 2015 (October 15 -December 15) and Spring of 2016 (February 16 -May 16) based on a 8-10 hour work week. Internship must be accepted within 3 days of first attempted notification. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate an internship and award the prize to an alternate at its discretion. Winner is responsible for all taxes and all others expenses not included in the prize package, including without limitation, commuting expenses, parking, meals, room service, souvenirs, phone calls, incidentals, tips, and other personal expenses. All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind.
6. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Contestants may be required to undergo a background check and must submit any and all required information in order for the background check to be conducted. Failure to provide any required information may constitute grounds for elimination from the contest. Each college Ambassador must be available to begin the internship no later than 10/12/15. No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any photo(s), essay(s), video(s) etc., and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s Contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such [photo(s), essay, etc.] and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted photo(s), essay, etc., along with Entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 3 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the photo, essay, etc. and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, and/or written description and video other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winner agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, its directors , officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest. The acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, entrant or winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or the announcement of the prize.
7. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
8. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
9. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
10. WINNER’S LIST: For name of Winner(s), available after 10/06/2015 log onto www.ESSENCE.com/Campus-Ambassador-Search, available for a period of 60 days.
11. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is ESSENCE Communications Inc., 135 W 50th Street. NY, NY 10020