Whether you've got 7 days or 24 hours, there are small changes you can make to your diet and lifestyle to wake up looking better for your big day.
As a beauty editor, I am always the go-to for my friend’s about all things hair, skin and nails. A 3AM text asking about an ingrown hair that came about as a result of a botched Brazilian, or inquiries about the latest beauty trends like, “What the hell is baking?” is not uncommon. When it comes to beauty, I’ve pretty much seen it all, so I’m happy to answer it all, too. As a serious skin buff, I take my glow seriously. After practicing veganism for month this past February, I’ve practically cut dairy completely out of my diet–seriously, my skin has never looked better. Of course, I enjoy the occasional slice of pepperoni pizza (or three), but for the most part, I take my diet and beauty regimen seriously because I know that everything, and I do mean everything that you do to your body, and everything that you put in your body shows up on your skin.
My best friend is getting married tomorrow. Naturally, the tensions are a little high considering that every minute of the next 48 hours is on a tight schedule. And, because stress shows up on the face right alongside the evidence of lack of sleep and that morning cup of coffee (thanks, under eye bags) here are a few things that you can do 24 hours before your big event, whether you’re the bride, a bridesmaid, the graduate or the birthday girl, to help reset your skin and help it look it’s best.
7 Days Before
1. Try cutting dairy out of your diet. Milk and dairy products contain hormones that can cause inflammation and block your pores, which ultimately leads to a break out.
2. De-puff with soy. Tofu is packed with collagen (the secret to youthful skin that keeps your skin looking plump). Dr. Oz recommends cutting extra-firm tofu into two half inch thick pieces and placing them under your eyes for 10 minutes every day for 1-2 weeks.
3. Quit snacking right before bed. If you’re a night owl, eating later will only make you stay up longer, which leads dark under eyes that can be hard to get rid of.
4. Wash your pillowcases. Self-exaplanatory, but even if it’s the only thing in the load, keeping your pillowcases clean can save your skin a lot of breakouts–and you, a lot of heartache.
5 Days Before
1. Kick your coffee habit. Ingested caffeine can be really cause a multitude of skin issues like dark circles under your eyes. Caffeine is a diuretic (a fancy term for something that causes you to lose water). Because it’s so dehydrating, it can lead to inflammation, loss of collagen and even acne. Instead of coffee, try green tea, matcha tea or an herbal tea.
2. Start your mornings with a ginger bomb. A favorite of designers and supermodels like Naomi Campbell, this tea flushes toxins from your system so your start each day with a clean system, and ultimately clearer skin. Find the ultimate Ginger Bomb recipe, here.
3. Get an at-home or in-office chemical peel. Jump start you skin cell turn over with a gentle chemical peel. If an in-office treatment with your derm isn’t an option, treat yourself at home. I love to take a Saturday and treat my skin the Kinera’ Red Carpet Facial ($145, at skinstore.com) and follow it with a hydrating cream like Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream ($65, at sephora.com)
2 Days Before
1. Get some sleep. Of course you always need adequate rest, but cathing some zzz’s in the 48hours leading up to your event will show on your face.
2. Try sleeping on your back. A recent study conducted by the Mayo Clinic suggests that sleeping on your back and elevating your head can help reduce dark circles, so double-up on the pillow, too.
3. Exfoliate. Smooth, soft skin always looks better.
24 hours/ The Day of
1. Apply a warm compress. Soothe skin and relax your facial muscles with a warm compress to de-stress and find your calm.
2. Hydrate! Keep your skin looking fresh and rejuvenated by drinking your standard 8-10 glasses of water.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!