Winter is coming, but are your nails ready? An expert nail technician explains the proper way to maintain healthy nails in the colder months.
Winter is coming, but are your nails ready? Nail technician, Elle (who has worked with Kerry Washington and Jada Pinkett Smith), explains the proper way to maintain healthy nails in the colder months.
1. Protect your nails. When you are outside in the elements, in order to maintain the health of your nails, it is extremely important to always wear gloves, especially with natural nails. The cold causes brittle nails, which in turn, can cause your nails to break and split, says Elle. Pick fashionable as well as practical gloves in order to properly protect your nails against the elements.
2. Avoid these irritants. During the cold weather months, you should switch to non-acetone nail polish remover in order to avoid the extra irritants on your nails. Also, when it is your turn to wash the dishes after that holiday soiree, make sure to wear gloves as dish detergent is harsh on nails. Believe it or not, regular hot water can also be damaging to your nails, says Elle. Keep this in mind when you are tempted to take that extra hot shower as well as with everyday hand washing.
3. Moisturizing is key! Just like your skin in the winter, your nails need extra attention, and that is especially true for moisture. A cuticle oil should be your best friend during the colder months! Elle recommends Red Carpet Manicure Revitalize Nourishing Cuticle Oil. Keep the oil in your purse, on your desk and on your night table, so it’s readily available to put on your nails throughout the day—I like to say it is an instant manicure! Hand cream is also important, but be sure to use one that doesn’t have a fragrance as you want to avoid the alcohol in the cream, says Elle.
4. Take care of the inside. Your nails need you to eat well, too! Protein, vegetables, vitamins that contain Vitamin B and Biotin, and Zinc can be beneficial to nails. And, make sure you drink water!
5. Alter your manicure. There are also a few things to keep in mind when you’re visiting the nail salon in the winter. Make sure your nails are filed with the proper nail grit, it’s important that the grit it not too harsh. Also, make sure your nails are filed in one direction to avoid splitting. Ask to skip the soaking of your nails before they work on your cuticles and instead, have them use a cuticle remover with a small amount of water when pushing the cuticles back. When all else fails and you are still experiencing issues with your nails, ask your manicurist to go the shorter route with your nails.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!