From toxic fillers to allergic reactions, you may want to re-think your nail habit.
If you reserve an hour on your calendar every two weeks for your bi-monthly fill or full set, this article is for you.
While it’s no secret that acrylic nails are not the most sanitary beauty indulgence—think about that hard-to-clean area underneath your nail—they can also be detrimental to your health, especially if an MMA-based acrylic is used. Though MMA’s (Methyl Methacrylate) have been banned by the FDA for use on nails because of toxicity, some lower-end nail salons still use the toxic substance to cut back on costs.
How to Avoid Falling Victim:
- 1. Check to make sure that your salon displays a current state license and that your nail tech is board-certified.
- 2. Pay attention to cost. If your sets or fills cost less than $40, you may want to inquire about the kind of acrylic being used.
- 3. Be mindful or terms like “dental acrylic” or “porcelain nails.”
- 4. Be mindful of the drill being used. If your acrylics are only being filled using a coarse drill bit, then you need to ask some questions.
- 5. Be mindful of acrylics that have a sharp odor.
- 6. MMA acrylic nails are also sensitive to trauma. EMA acrylics—the safer form of acrylic—gives more than MMA, so you natural nail is less prone to breaking.
Symptoms or Allergic Reactions To Acrylic to be Mindful of:
- 1. Inflamed or itchy cuticles
- 2. Splitting or painful nail plate
- 3. Bleeding, puss-filled or infected nail plate
- 4. Infection below the nail bed (can be hard to spot)
- 5. Pay attention to you natural nail growth. Acrylics—both MMA and EMA—weaken your nails making them prone to breakage or delayed growth.
It is important to pay attention to the health of your nails each time you visit a nail salon. If you are a serial acrylic wearer, then give your natural nail a chance to breathe every two or three months.
Have you noticed any changes in your nails after wearing acrylics? Share you story in the comments below!
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!