Beauty minimalists rejoice!
I can’t stop thinking about the Marissa Webb look from her Spring/Summer 2017 runway show.
As a beauty minimalist, I’m always on the hunt for cool, but simple looks that fit with my hair and makeup personality and Marissa Webb did just that! From her twisted messy buns to a glittery smokey eye to negative space manicure, you can get her beauty looks in no time.
Problem: Braiding is just too hard.
Solution: If French braiding is out of your skill range, simply use twists! It’s a foolproof way to add detail to a look without all the fuss.
1. Prep hair with a mousse and blow dry with a paddle brush to smooth our edges. Try: TRESemme Extra Firm Control Mousse ($5, ulta.com)
2. With your comb, create a deep side part, then make a horizontal part from ear to ear and clip the top half of the hair away.
3. Take the remaining hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with a hair elastic.
4. Let the top section down. Starting by the ear, begin twisting back one section at a time. Make sure you’re twisting away from the face and down towards the ponytail. Secure ends with bobby pins.
5. Gather ends from the twists and the ponytail and wrap into a low, loose bun. Secure with another elastic.
6. Gently pull out wispy, face-framing pieces to soften the look and voila!
Problem: Eye makeup is too intimidating.
Solution: We know in the world of Pinterest-perfect makeup and dynamic beauty Youtubers, creating a fun makeup look can seem easy, but turn out scary. This makeup look is simple, natural and feminine with a feminine pop!
1. Start with a lightweight foundation with minimum coverage to smooth out imperfections.
2. Take a brown eyeliner pencil and draw thick line under bottom lash line and smudge out with your finger to soften. Try: Maybelline Eyestudio Color Tattoo Concentrated Crayon in Bronze Truffle ($6, Target)
3. Accentuate the smokey bottom lash line with matching glitter or shimmery eye shadow with chunks of glitter.
4. Use a pale grayish-white eye crayon and draw over the lid and blend with finger.
5. Take a makeup remover cloth and gently dab over lid to give eyes a barely there, but noticeable pop.
6. Add mascara to the top lash line and you’re done!
Problem: Nail art doesn’t seem DIY friendly.
Solution: Nail art is a great way to add to your look, but maybe you don’t have time (and let’s be honest, money) to get poppy designs on your tips. One of our favorite mani masters, Miss Pop, did a diagonal negative space mani that is totally brown girl friendly!
1. Clean nails of any debris or polish.
2. Take vinyl tape or painters tape and lay it half way along the nail on the diagonal.
3. Add a base coat around the tape.
4. Take an opaque white nail color and paint the top half of the nail. Try: ZOYA Snow White ($10, zoya.com) Add hyperlink:
5. Once the nail is about ½ way done drying, but still tacky, lift the tape.
6. Seal with a glossy top coat.