How big of a Frank Ocean fan are you really? Test your knowledge with these 6 quick facts!
Frank Ocean has finally blessed us with a new project titled Endless and word on the street is that the long-awaited Boys Don't Cry album is on the way.
The visual album has the music world buzzing about everything from the meaning of that cryptic video, to which of Frank's musical cohorts helped bring the project to life. As you continue to digest Endless and patiently await what’s supposedly in store this weekend, here are six interesting facts about the mysterious musical guru that is Frank Ocean.
1. Frank Ocean’s birth name is Christopher Edwin Breaux.
He changed his name to Christopher Francis Ocean in 2010, before legally changing it to Frank Ocean in 2015.
2. He has a healthy obsession with cars.
From classics like the 1990 Geo Prizm, to modern-day favorites like Teslas and BMWs, Frank’s love of cars was once well-documented on his Instagram page.
3. He got his big break as a songwriter for major artists after shopping his demo around L.A.
John Legend, Brandy, Justin Bieber and Beyoncé are just a few of the artists he has written for.
4. He is originally from California, not New Orleans.
Frank’s family moved to New Orleans when he was a child, but contrary to popular belief, he was actually born in Long Beach, California.
WANT MORE FROM ESSENCE? Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.
5. He was an original member of Hip-Hop collective Odd Future.
Frank joined Odd Future after meeting group members, including Tyler The Creator, in 2009.
6. His first live performance was in 2011 at Coachella alongside Odd Future.
Songs performed included “She” and “Swim Good.”