Khan says she is battling an addiction to the same medication Prince overdosed on.
Legendary singer Chaka Khan has checked herself into rehab to fight an addiction to prescription pain medication, she confirmed with The Associated Press.
The news comes less than three months after Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, an opiod painkiller; the same medication Khan says she is addicted to. The Grammy-winning singer’s sister Yvonne Stevens, known as Taka Boom, also checked into rehab—a move Khan says they agreed on.
"The tragic death of Prince has had us both rethinking and reevaluating our lives and priorities,” Khan told AP. “We knew it was time to take action to save our lives. My sister and I would like to thank everyone for their support, love and prayers."
Khan was scheduled to perform at the California State Fair Monday night, but had to cancel her appearance, and other July engagements, her representatives say.
The “Ain’t nobody” chanteuse has struggled with drugs—mainly cocaine and heroine—and alcohol in the past, though she has been clean for years now.
You can beat this, Chaka!
WANT MORE FROM ESSENCE? Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.