In this day and age, social media is the new business card, so every photo counts. Now, more than ever, finding your angles and the right lighting impacts everything from likes to follower count so we've tapped leading plastic surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel to get the scoop on how you can put your best face forward on social media without going under the knife. Here are 7 tips to take your photos to the next level.
Admit it: you probably have a couple hundred selfies saved in the photo album on your phone. After all, those fabulous moments when your brows look snatched or your makeup is seriously on point need to be documented. And, in this day and age, if you don't have photo proof, then technically it never happened. We tapped renowned plastic surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel to get the scoop on putting your "best face forward" on the 'gram. Here are 7 tips to start living your best photo life, ever!
1. Look up. Looking up slightly towards the camera will make your eyes larger, and raise your eyebrows creating the attractive look of large eyes.
2. Press your lips together. Following a blotting motion, firmly press your lips together. This will send blood to your lips making them redder and fuller. Similarly, you can pinch your cheeks a few times to get a little bit of a rosy glow.
3. Lean in. Slightly lean your neck towards the camera.
4. Stand at an angle to the camera. This creates a slimmer body profile and adds some interest to the photograph. Also, try slightly lowering the shoulder towards the camera. This will relatively elongate your neck and slim it out.
5. Blink just before the camera goes off. That is, if they are counting to three to shoot, blink deliberately on two. This will help guarantee that your eyes are not closed during the picture, and importantly, will get you with the most open and bright eyes - and remember, bright eyes are critical to looking good.
6. Smile with your eyes! A fake smile is just your mouth. A true smile is when your whole face is laughing. Think about sending energy to your eyes or smiling with your eyes, and your beauty will shine into the photograph.
7. Be relaxed. Think about relaxing your face and trying to convey that to the camera. And, you may want to consider botulinum toxin treatment (e.g. Botox or Dysport). They've been shown to not only relax wrinkles, but to actually improve your mood and help you to feel more relaxed and confident. That emotional change will show in your photos.