Matchmaker Paul C. Brunson is the real life version of Will Smith's hit movie, Hitch. Before the former ESSENCE blogger appears during Empower U at ESSENCE Fest 2015, here are ten things you should know about the host of OWN's Lovetown, USA.
Matchmaker Paul C. Brunson is the real life version of Will Smith's hit movie, Hitch. Before he appears during Empower U at ESSENCE Fest 2015, here are ten things you should know about the host of OWN's Lovetown, USA.
1. Want to seal the deal on a date or a job? He thinks you should never leave home without a packet of Listerine.
"I've read 100s of studies on how to make the best impression and quality of breath ALWAYS ranks high as a factor," he wrote in a post on his Instagram. For more life-changing advice, head to his personal website.
2. Paul is married! His wife is named Jill and likes to stay out of the public eye. Years ago, she was offered the chance to do a reality show and turned it down. Still, she has supported her loving husband through it all. Just in her own way.
3. Paul Carrick Brunson is Jamaican and is not shy about representing for the beautiful island.
4. Brunson is a New York native but currently resides in Washington DC with his wife Jill and two painfully adorable sons.
5. He always knew that he was going to meet his current boss, Oprah. He is the host of OWN's Lovetown, USA. Before he got the job, he told MediaBistro,"I don't want to sound conceited when I say this, but when I first met her I wasn't nervous at all because I knew that moment was going to happen," he said. "I saw it in my mind... Now, are there moments when I reflect back and say, 'Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is happening'? Sure, I definitely do that, but I felt in my heart that it was going to happen."
6. Before he was an author, relationship expert and personality, he worked as an investment banker. Case in point, he knew it wasn't for him.
7. He got his hosting job on OWN through Facebook. In a recent interview, he explained how he got the gig. "Someone from the network contacted me on Facebook. We went back and forth several times via Facebook; at first I didn't think it was real because there are so many spammers on Facebook. I then came into the offices in L.A. and met with the network team, once again with no agent. I was there with my business partner, and we sat at this long table. There were 13 of them on one side and just my partner and me on the other. It was incredible. So, they basically pitched me the idea for LoveTown and I immediately signed with them."
8. His career as a matchmake started from a joke during a conversation with his wife after he signed in kids at a camp and realized no one came from a two-parent home. She said, "Why don't you become a matchmaker?" And, that's exactly what he did.
9. He tells all of his followers that the most important thing he wants people to understand is, "One of the most critical skills we can have on this planet is being able to establish a relationship—a romantic, business, or platonic relationship. That’s one of the most important skills," he said in a recent interview with ESSENCE contributor, Britni Danielle.
10. He's easy on the eyes. Well, that you might know by just looking at his Instagram.
Want to attend Paul C. Brunson's workshop at this year's ESSENCE Empower U? Sign up now to reserve your spot!
Click here to see the rest of our Empower U line-up!