FERGUSON, MO - MARCH 12: A K-9 unit patrols outside the police station after two officers were shot and wounded during last night's protest on March 12, 2015 in Ferguson, Missouri. Demonstrators had gathered outside the station to celebrate and protest after learning the city's police chief would be stepping down following the release of a Justice Department report that disparaged the department. Ferguson has faced many violent protests since the August shooting death of Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer.

Scott Olson/Getty Images

Protestors had gathered outside of the Ferguson Police Department following the resignation of police chief Tom Jackson

Taylor Lewis
Mar, 12, 2015

Two police officers were shot last night during a demonstration outside of the Ferguson police department. Officials have not identified the officers, but say that they are in serious condition with non life-threatening injuries.

Witnesses told the Associated Press that they heard shots ring out shortly after midnight. St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said that based on the trajectory of the bullets, he suspected that the police officers, one of whom was shot in the face, and the other who was shot in the shoulder, were the intended targets.

Protesters had gathered outside of police headquarters yesterday following the resignation of both the city manager and the police chief. 

Speaking at a press conference this morning, Belmar called the shooting an "ambush," but admitted that there was simply "an unfortunate association" between the shooter and the peaceful protestors who were there for "the right reasons." 

Attorney General Eric Holder issued a statement this morning condemning the shooting, which he called "inexcusable and repugnant."

"Such senseless acts of violence threaten the very reforms that nonviolent protesters in Ferguson and around the country have been working towards for the past several months," his statement said. "We will continue to stand unequivocally against all acts of violence against cops whenever and wherever they occur."

There is no suspect in custody yet.