Prince guest stars on New Girl, D.C. courts launch an internal investigation on Chris Brown and the White House taps Magic Johnson to promote Obamacare.
Here's what we're chatting about over steaming lattes this morning:
- The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin will be honored at the 2014 BET Honors. The network announced Thursday that Motown great Berry Gordy, rapper-turned-actor Ice Cube, American Express CEO Ken Chenault and photographer Carrie Mae Weems will also receive tributes. The show will take place at the Warner Theater in Washington, D.C. on February 8th. The special program hosted by Wayne Brady will air February 24th. [USAToday]
- Magic Johnson has been tapped by the White House to help promote Obamacare. In an effort to create more awareness among young people about the benefits of having health care, the former basketball player speaks about his health and says that access to reliable health care "saved my life," in reference to the early detection of his HIV infection 22 years ago. [Fox]
- Prince will guest star on the February 8th episode of Fox sitcom, New Girl. The network released a photo of the singer on set with stars Zooey Deschanel and Jake Johnson. Prince's character will host a private house party and help the show's stars work out their relationships. Executive Producer of New Girl Brett Baer said, "He knows everything about the show. He contacted Zooey and Hannah Simone directly and asked to do it." [HuffingtonPost]
- Police in Washington D.C. are launching an internal affairs investigation into statement discrepancies regarding Chris Brown's October misdemeanor after he was involved in a fight outside of a hotel. An officer, who had been at the scene originally, claimed the singer never punched the alleged victim and later denied his claim. However a secret service agent claimed to have overheard the conversation and supports the original claim. The conflicting evidence is currently under review. [CBS]
- The View co-host Sherri Shepard will host the 29th annual Stellar Gospel Awards show in Nashville Tennessee alongside comedian and radio personality Rickey Smiley. The evening highlighting the brightest talent in Gospel music will take place January 18th. [TheTennessean]
- Orange Is the New Black star Michelle Hurst who plays Miss Claudette has awaken from a medically-induced coma after being involved in a recent car accident. According to the actress's family, she was placed in a 16-day coma so that the doctors could perform surgeries. She remains in the intensive care unit at UNC Chapel Hill Hospital. Her co-stars have been encouraging fans to donate to a fundraising website in an effort to help pay for her medical expenses. [NYDailyNews]