The actress will star opposite Mary J. Blige, who will play Dr. Betty Shabazz.
TGIF! See why we're begging for a cream cheese danish with our coffee:
- Angela Bassett is the latest star to jump on board to Lifetime's upcoming biopic-drama, Betty and Coretta, previously known as Parallel Lives. Mary J. Blige will play Dr. Betty Shabazz, while Bassett will play Coretta Scott King. In addition, Ruby Dee will play the film's key narrator. The project is set to begin shooting this September. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Michelle Obama is on a media blitz this month. Having already appeared on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and more, she'll be heading over to Dr. Oz on August 29 to tape a future episode. Later that night, she will make her third Late Show with David Letterman appearance. [EURweb]
- LL Cool J's late night intruder, who suffered a broken nose and jaw, faces life in prison if convicted. L.A. County District Attorney's Office has charged the homeless man as a third strike offender. He is also charged with first degree burglary with a person present. His bail is set at $1.1M. [TMZ]
- Tyra Banks says she got the word to revamp America's Next Top Model in the middle of her Harvard business class. "I got a note that said you need to get out of class and take this call," said Banks. "My boss said, 'There are no sacred cows, and you have to do some crazy changes.' It was a mandate." The 19th season of Top Model begins tonight with its dramatic new changes and new panel of judges. [Page Six]
- Super rich kid Adam Sabbagh paid Tyson Beckford a whopping $25K for one-on-one modeling lessons in his New York apartment. Sabbagh is looking to land a New York Fashion Week modeling job next month. Would you pay that much cash for special attention? [TMZ]