BET is set to air Aaliyah tribute special, and Eddie Murphy gets animated in new role.
A grande mocha latte is warming us up today to read over these hot headlines.
- In honor of the 10 year anniversary of Aaliyah's death, BET is set to air a tribute special to the late singer on August 25. "Aaliyah: One in a Million" will be a one-hour special featuring commentary from Missy Elliott, Timbaland, Damon Dash, Patti LaBelle, and Kelly Rowland. [BET]
- Eddie Murphy is set to voice the all-action lead cartoon character in a new animated TV series "Hong Kong Phooey" about a dog who becomes a kung fu crime fighter. This is Eddie's second foray into cartooning, after successfully loaning his voice to four of the "Shrek" movies. No word yet on when "Hong Kong Phooey" will debut. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Jennifer Lopez has confirmed that she will be returning for another round of judging on the next season of "American Idol." The recently divorced star has been "in talks for weeks" with producers to close the deal. Reports claim that J-Lo will bring in $20 million to participate on the show, an $8 million increase from what she made this season. [People]
- "The Help" hit theaters yesterday and early reports show that the film got off to a strong start. Early estimates show that the film grossed $5 million dollars on opening day and earned a rare A+ CinemaScore rating which indicates good word-of-mouth for the movie. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Just one day after becoming the first female MC on the Forbes' Cash Kings list, Nicki Minaj can also brag that she has the highest charting single by a solo female rap artist in 9 years. Her certified double platinum single "Super Bass" is the first song to make the Billboard Hot 100's Top 10 since Missy Elliott's "Work It" debuted in 2002. Congrats Nicki! [Freddy O]
- Chris Brown is getting ready to hit the road! His "F.A.M.E." tour is going to be a 30-city shocker, kicking off September 12 in Toronto through October 30 in Hartford, CT. Kelly Rowland has also been confirmed to rock the stage alongside Breezy on his tour. [The Urban Daily]