New details emerge about the life of President Obama's father.
Thank goodness it's Friday! We're starting off our weekend with a warm vanilla chai and today's hottest headlines.
- According to a new biography of President Barack Obama's father, Barack Obama Sr., the Kenyan native told immigration officials that he and Ann Dunham planned to give the unborn president up for adoption. The book, "The Other Barack: The Bold and Reckless Life of President Obama's Father" tells the life story of the elder Barack, although it's unclear how serious his adoption intentions were. [Today]
- Congrats are in order for eye candy Laz Alonso. The actor will be returning for another season of the A&E drama series "Breakout Kings," following a great debut. Season two goes into production later this year. [EURweb]
- John Legend and Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music label is being sued by Anthony Stokes, a songwriter who claims that John stole his track and used it in "Maxine's Interlude" a song on the Grammy winner's 2006 album, "Once Again." According to the lawsuit, Stokes gave John a demo with the song on it during an autograph signing session. [Hip-Hop Wired]
- ESSENCE Music Festival headliner Jill Scott has a busy summer ahead of her. The songstress announced that she's launching the Jill Scott Block Party tour to celebrate her latest, number one album "Light of the Sun." She'll be at 17 major cities in July and August. [That Grape Juice]
- We love to see celebs giving back to the community! Pharrell Williams has just announced his plans to build a $35-million educational center for kids in his hometown of Virginia Beach. "I wanted a building for the center that makes a statement to the world and the kids, something that will stand as a monument of optimism," said Pharrell. The project is estimated to be completed in 2013. [Global Grind]
- Jay-Z and ESSENCE Music Festival headliner Kanye West are gearing up for their album "Watch the Throne." Jay previewed a few of the tracks at an intimate listening party in New York, where fans got to hear "Lift Off" featuring his wife Bey, and "No Church" a track Jay called his personal favorite. We can't wait until that album finally drops! [Rap-UP]
- The court hearing of Michael Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, has been delayed yet again. The original date of July 12 has been pushed back to July 20 to give Murray's lawyers more time to review video recordings of Jackson and his posthumous film, "This is It." [Weyburn This Week]