LaLa on being a basketball wife, and more.
Happy Hump Day! We're midway through the week and we're knocking back a hazelnut iced coffee to rev us up for this morning's headlines.
- LaLa Vazquez recently spoke out about her role as a basketball wife, and how she declined a spot on Shaunie O'Neal's VH1 show. "I was offered a spot on the show. I turned it down," she told PYNK Magazine. "I have absolutely nothing against basketball wives, the show 'Basketball Wives,' or anything like that. But I pride myself in being more than just a basketball wife." We hear you, LaLa. [Necole Bitchie]
- Serena Williams' win at Wimbledon left the tennis champ so overwhelmed with emotion she started crying after beating Aravane Rezai of France. This is Serena's first win since taking time off after undergoing two foot operations and suffering a pulmonary embolism. [EURweb]
- Congrats are also in order for Morgan Freeman, who has been honored with the 39th American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement Award. The actor received the accolade during a ceremony in California where Chris Rock and Steven Spielberg congratulated him. Other than Sidney Poitier, he's the only African-American to receive the honor. [UInterview]
- Mike Tyson and Spike Lee are teaming up to create a new drama series for HBO. The show will be based on Tyson's life as a boxing champ. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Kirk Franklin continues to heat up the gospel charts with his 12th album, "Hello Fear." The album is the number one gospel album for the 12th week in a row and has become the 4th highest gospel debut in Soundscan history. His single, "I Smile," also remains at the number one spot for the 10th week in a row. Congrats, Kirk! [EURweb]
- Swizz Beatz recently talked about sharing the spotlight with his famous wife, Alicia Keys. One of the perks for Swizz being married to a top-selling artist is expanding his fan base. "I know who my fans are and I know who her fans are that come up to me. I'm cool about it, I'm happy to have some of her fans coming to say "What's up," Swizz told "Paper" magazine. How cool is that?! [Boombox]
- Beyonce, our July ESSENCE cover girl, continues to promote her new album worldwide, and she's taking a few risks to transform her image. Check out this behind-the-scenes footage of a recent Italian photo shoot featuring. We love her versatile style. [Rap-Up]