It’s Women Empowerment Wednesday and #EssenceFest alum and best-selling author, Terry McMillan is yet another woman that empowers us. Her strong, dynamic, female characters and relatable prose have empowered African-American women everywhere for years but the woman behind these characters is even more inspiring. Here are a few little known facts about Terry McMillan:
Over the years, Essence Festival has become known for its electrifying performances each 4th of July weekend but there's so much more to the festival than the performances. Here's our top ten (in no particular order):
It's Music Monday and we had a chance to check out #EssenceFest alum, Jazmine Sullivan's new album, Reality Show.
- @essencefest: The Quiet Storm: We need you in this world! KEM's "Share My Life". http://t.co/0EZ3QHiG7T
- @essencefest: Baller, author and #EyeCandy: we've got our eyes on entrepreneur Phillip Buchanon! http://t.co/1oDmLwHrZy http://t.co/QqNFfcnSXs
- @essencefest: Best Cast! The cast of "Orange Is The New Black" couldn't contain their excitement for their SAG Award win. http://t.co/Tz74BiuzJH
- @essencefest: Red Carpet Right: Kerry Washington at the 26th Annual PGA Awards in Los Angeles. http://t.co/WrZ0TgLqiN
- @essencefest: How to Get Away with a Win! Congrats to Viola Davis on her win at the 21st Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. http://t.co/Z3XCrQna4v
- @essencefest: Morning Music: You're the highest of the high so don't ever wonder! #EssenceFest alum Maxwell's "Ascension" http://t.co/3KqoGoKdLK
- @essencefest: We're loving her confidence and style. Meet curvy girl of the month Brittany Winston! http://t.co/POIPePxW1w http://t.co/zAtAY33tyA
- @essencefest: The First Lady wowed us in a Michael Kors skirt suit for this year's State of the Union. Check out her past #SOTU looks....
Festival Text Alerts
Sign up for mobile text alerts to be one of the first to know how we'll celebrate in 2015 with the biggest and best Festival to date!