Check out this multi-platinum artist and more of the biggest names in pop, R&B and hip hop who will rock the Main Stage all weekend long.
The Roots, the legendary, Grammy Award winning hip hop crew and arguably the hardest working musicians in popular culture, turn 25 this year. The brainchild of childhood friends Ahmir “Questlove” Trotter and Tariq “Black Thought” Trotter, The Roots began their career playing bucket drums and freestyling on the streets and competing with Boyz II Men for top honors at The Philadelphia High school for Creative and Performing Arts. Named one of the greatest live acts by Rolling Stone, their career has evolved to include a weekly gig as the house band for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, hosting sold-out jam sessions across country, collaborating on new works for contemporary performance (Lincoln Center, BAM, Kimmel Center), and consistently churning out Grammy®-nominated albums.
Latest News & Photos
- @essencefest: Out & ABout: #EssenceFest alum Beyonce and Jay Z seen in midtown in New York City. http://t.co/fpCZ7LpERy
- @essencefest: Red Carpet Glam: Rihanna at the 2014 amfAR LA Inspiration Gala at Milk Studios in Hollywood. http://t.co/3raBHSOJD5
- @essencefest: Funny Lady: Sherri Shepherd joins Robin Roberts as a guest on "Good Morning America" in New York. http://t.co/z1JxvSzB5b
- @essencefest: Date Night: Niecy Nash and Jay Tucker at the season two premiere of HBO's "Getting On" at the Avalon in Hollywood. http://t.co/sqK0LiJ8Tq
- @essencefest: VIP Guest: Garcelle Beauvais at the TROA denim event at Barneys in Los Angeles. http://t.co/gn4gFlo7KW
- @essencefest: To have John Legend perform at your wedding? #BridalBlissWin! Congrats Regina and Ramondo. http://t.co/EgELvywYr9 http://t.co/6rLAGIocO5
- @essencefest: First Mom: FLOTUS spotted returning to the White House from a parent/teacher conference at Sidwell Friends School. http://t.co/xcTcgf3hLx
- @essencefest: Brandy gives us a casual chic look at Compound in Atlanta. http://t.co/Gw877rRfzZ