Jourdan Dunn turns the big 26 today and in honor of her birthday we're taking a look at the many reasons why she's a boss! From her supermom tendencies to her domination of the fashion industry, here's why Jourdan Dunn's reign isn't letting up anytime soon.
1. She's a fashion powerhouse: Discovered in a chain store in her native London, Dunn signed to Storm Models in 2006. She made a historic debut at 18 by being the first Black woman to hit the Prada runway in a decade. Since then she's become the face of Maybelline New York, the first Black British model to make Forbes top-earning models list and scored the coveted Model of Year Award at the British Fashion Awards, among countless other accolades.
A photo posted by Jourdan Dunn (@officialjdunn) on May 20, 2016 at 8:49am PDT
2. She's about her business: The model has turned her talent into an empire. After working with countless brands, she's decided to venture out on her own and has recently signed a deal with British retailer Marks & Spencer to design a kidswear collection.
Ahhhhh mate!!!! I'm sooo excited to share with you all my 1st kids collection #LilLonDunn with @marksandspencer thank you to everyone who made this possible @stormmodels @fluidworldldn @marksandspencer 👊🏾#AboutThatLonDunnLife #IRepLondunn #LilLondunn👊🏾
A photo posted by Jourdan Dunn (@officialjdunn) on Feb 9, 2016 at 3:30am PST
3. She's a supermom: Dunn gave birth to her son Riley in 2009 when she was 19-years-old. She continued to work 6 months into her pregnancy and then got right back to business. In a tough industry that isn't quite child-friendly, she proved that nothing could slow her down. Dunn says that her little one, who suffers from Sickle Cell disease, gives her the motivation to keep pushing.
A photo posted by Jourdan Dunn (@officialjdunn) on Dec 8, 2015 at 12:51pm PST
4. She has skills in the kitchen: Dunn's YouTube series 'Well Dunn with Dunn" shattered tired stereotypes that models and food simply don't go together. In 'Well Dunn' she not only gets down in the kitchen, cooking up super fun dishes but she chronicles her travels to other countries to discover food customs in other cultures. The success of the series has led to a pending cookbook. Well Dunn, indeed.
Malaysian Spice Fried Chicken (Ayam Goreng Berempah) This recipe required curry leaves but I didn't have any ☹️ so I used Coriander leaves instead #MakeItYourOwn #SpiceFiend #SpiceQueen #chickenlover #WellDunn
A photo posted by Jourdan Dunn (@officialjdunn) on Apr 7, 2016 at 11:17am PDT
5. She uses her voice: The model is not quiet about her beliefs. She's a supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement, is involved in the fight against Sickle Cell disease and has been very vocal about her frustration with the lack of diversity in the fashion industry. In a recent Elle Magazine cover story the catwalk queen slammed the industry's progress saying," There are definitely a lot more girls of colour being represented. But I also feel like we’re 100% still not there."
A photo posted by Jourdan Dunn (@officialjdunn) on Jul 7, 2016 at 9:58am PDT
6. She's a fashion killer: Not only is she able to flawlessly display the work of the world's top designers but she has a style all her own. From super casual looks to ultra glam Jourdan is always on point! Click the gallery above to see some of her best looks.
A photo posted by Jourdan Dunn (@officialjdunn) on Jan 12, 2016 at 8:06am PST
WANT MORE FROM ESSENCE? Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.