Another day. Another shooting. Another name. Another hashtag.
This time the nation woke up to the news that Alva Braziel had been fatally shot ten times by Houston Police Saturday morning. Details are still sparse, but this is what we do know, according to the Houston Police:
- Two Houston police officers fatally shot Alva Braziel at about 12:40 a.m. Saturday morning.
- The officers, who were both Hispanic, were on patrol when they encountered Braziel standing in the middle of the street with a gun in his hand pointed to the sky.
Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Alicia Garza Talks Philando Castile, Alton Sterling and How You Can Get Involved in Fighting Injustice
- When asked to to lower the weapon, he pointed in directly at the officers. Both officers then shot Braziel ten times altogether .
- Braziel did not fire his gun. He died at the scene.
- Both officers were placed on administrative duty for three days.
So far, little else is known about who Alva Braziel was, but we’ll continue to update you as more information is released.