As we count down to the 2016 ESSENCE Festival, June 30-July 3 in New Orleans, artists and speakers from our power-packed lineup will reveal how they step up their slay game in beauty and style. This week we have Jillian Hervey of Lion Babe, who will be bringing the neo-soul sounds from their debut album Begin to this year's Festival.
1. Pantene’s deep conditioner is great to make sure my hair is healthy from the constant traveling, heat and tampering.
2. Coconut oil is a must for everything. It is fresh from the earth, so it naturally works to moisturize my scalp, skin, hair and even helps to remove eye makeup. It also smells delicious. You can buy it at a beauty store or the grocery store.
3. Fake eyelashes can instantly give me a more dramatic look and also help to accentuate my eyes, which are a focal point to achieving the Lion Babe look.
4. MAC lip liner. It doesn’t matter about the color, but it is a great way to know that the lipstick will stay on matte all day and night for either a performance or an event. It is also a great way to recreate colors. A brown lip liner will affect a red lipstick differently than a red lip liner.
5. Rose oil and rose water spray. It has a lovely aroma and actually gets stronger if I get hot. It helps me to feel calm and is also a very welcoming scent to make new friends.
6. Fishnet tights. A show trick as old as time. Slims the leg and also is a natural body controller, which makes me feel comfortable and sexy when I am dancing on stage.
7. MAC body bronzer. It is a great thing to use to highlight cheeks and clavicle. I use it to add shimmer to my arms and legs and neck.