Author, talk-show host and motivational speaker Iyanla Vanzant has become a staple at our ESSENCE Fest Empowerment Experience. Every festivalgoer who attends her packed sessions, where she dispenses tough love and inspirational words, leaves with a sense of empowerment. And this year she will be back to deliver more Oprah-approved messages in New Orleans over July 4th weekend.
Until then, here are 15 of our favorite quotes from the Iyanla, Fix My Life host that will give you life this week:
1. "When we start the day with a spirit of joy, openness, peace and love, we put the universe on alert, we want more of the same."
2. "No matter what is going on in your life today, remember, it is only preparation for better things."
3. "Do not allow yesterday's garbage to influence your experience today. It is unnecessary to punish yourself for being human."
4. "Forgiveness fosters growth, learning, and healing."
5. "What you tell yourself about yourself, about your life, about your limitations, you will believe."
6. "Each day, focus your attention on what you want. Each day, take one step that will bring you closer to it."
7. "Your life is a reflection of what you believe. If you really believe something can stop you, it will."
8. "All things are possible! The key is to identify what you want, claim it for yourself, and believe that you are worthy to have it."
9. "Give of yourself, your knowledge and the information you have received, then prepare yourself for an outpouring of blessing."
10. "Just do what you do and do it well. Stop worrying about what other people are doing, or what they will say about what you are doing."
11. "Be aware of how you treat yourself, because you set the standard for others."
12. "You are powerful. Stand up in your power! Embrace your power! Serve the world by bringing your power into your life."
13. "You have a right to say no...Your 'no' muscle has to be built up to get to a place where you can say, 'I don't care if that's what you want. I don't want that. No.' "
14. "The process of life is ever guiding you, pushing you, preparing you for the next part of the process."
15. "You know how to make it through the ups and downs, the good times and the hard times.You have done it before. You will do it again!"