In case you didn’t know, rappers Raury and Waka Flock Flame are 100-percent about that vegan life—and they want you to be too. We spotted their fun baking tutorial over on VICE and we just couldn’t stop watching. Raury and Waka team up to teach viewers their recipe for vegan blueberry muffins, and while their conversation is a little too real for the Food Network (warning, profanity ahead), their intentions are spot on and the recipe looks delicious.
Why did Waka choose to live a vegan lifestyle? “I just didn’t want to be fat,” he explains. “I got tired of breathing hard. I got tired of my joints hurting…I just got tired of being lied to.” Waka says he can definitely feel the difference since making the switch. “When I eat, I got energy [now],” he adds.
“There are so many things that give you more protein than meat,” Raury insists. “Kale, walnuts, black rice, avocado…all types of beans.”
And, superfoods like blueberries are filled with the nutrients you need to be your healthiest.
Check out the recipe they shared here:
All purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place muffin tins in muffin tray.
3. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients: 2 cups of all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ½ tablespoon black salt, 2.5 teaspoons of baking powder.
4. In a separate bowl: 1 tsp. vanilla extract, ½ cup and 2 tbs. of granulated sugar, lemon zest from 1 lemon, a ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix well until liquefied.
5. Combine both wet and dry ingredients into one large bowl.
6. In a separate bowl combine 1 tsp. lemon juice and one cup of coconut milk. (The coconut milk will mix with lemon juice and combine butter-like ingredient.)
7. Pour mixture into large bowl with other ingredients.
8. Mix until all combined.
9. Gently pour 2 cups of blueberries into dough. Stir gently.
10. Fill up each muffin tin ¾ full with the blueberry muffin mixture.
11. Heat them in the oven for 20 minutes.