Spike Lee Says Oscars 'Did the Right Thing' with Sweeping Changes After Diversity Controversy – but He's Still Boycotting the Ceremony

Photo by Getty Images
The director is skipping the annual ceremony amidst diversity uproar.

Spike Lee supports the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the sweeping changes it announced last week in response to the lack of diversity among this year's nominees – but he's still boycotting the ceremony.

In a new interview from IMDb's Sundance Studio from Saturday, the Do the Right Thing and Chi-Raq filmmaker said, "They had to do something, it was a fire storm of protest. And I want to thank [Academy] President Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the Board of Governors, for doing the right thing."

Everything You Need to Know About #OscarsStillSoWhite 2016

AMPAS' changes will overhaul its voting bloc, by moving some members to non-voting status if they have been inactive in the industry, and will dramatically ramp up its "global" efforts to double its membership of women and minorities.

But: "I'm not showing up," Lee, 58, told IMDB. "My wife and I, we made the decision, we're not going to change our decision. ... We took a moral stance, and we're not gong to do a punk move and go back on our word." (Instead Lee will stay in New York to watch his beloved Knicks face off against the Miami Heat.)

This article originially appeared on people.com. To read the full story, visit their website.

Read More
Filed under: News