It was 2003 and Ashanti was riding high off of the success from her debut self-titled album, Ashanti. We here at ESSENCE were gearing up for our annual ESSENCE Festival and wanted to put together an all-star line up to honor one of music's best vocalists, Luther Vandross. To tribute the "Never Too Much" singer, we invited newcomers to join seasoned artists. Ashanti graced the stage with Usher, Patti LaBelle, Faith Evans, Gerald Levert, Ron Isley and Kelly Price. To say the tribute was amazing would be an understatement.
- EXCLUSIVE: Listen to V. Bozeman's Hot New Track From This Week's 'Empire'
- ESSENCE Poll: Is 3.5 Dates Too Soon to Sleep With Someone?
- ‘I Wasn't Blackballed — The Offers Didn't Make Sense’ Mo'Nique Responds to Lee Daniels
- Kanye Announces New Album Title, 'So Help Me God'
- Alicia Keys Shares First Photo of Newborn Son
- Lupita’s Oscars Dress Returned to Hotel
- Coach Felicia: “Are You THAT Somebody?”
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Rose of Gospel' Dorinda Clark Cole Talks Singing, Reality TV and Missy Elliott