It was 2003 and Ashanti was riding high off of the success from her debut self-titled album, Ashanti. We here at ESSENCE were gearing up for our annual ESSENCE Festival and wanted to put together an all-star line up to honor one of music's best vocalists, Luther Vandross. To tribute the "Never Too Much" singer, we invited newcomers to join seasoned artists. Ashanti graced the stage with Usher, Patti LaBelle, Faith Evans, Gerald Levert, Ron Isley and Kelly Price. To say the tribute was amazing would be an understatement.
- Darren Wilson: 'No Way' Michael Brown Had His Hands Up
- What You Said: ESSENCE Readers Sound Off on Ferguson Grand Jury Decision
- Rev. Al Sharpton, Brown Family Attorney Speak Out
- Halle Demands Ex to Stop Straightening Their Daughter’s Hair
- From ESSENCE's Editor: Ferguson's Emotional Aftermath
- The Write or Die Chick: 'Dear Everyone Who Does Not Yet Get It'
- Protesters Plan to Boycott Black Friday
- Moms on a Mission: Three Mothers Hope to Turn Their Tragedies into Change