It was 2003 and Ashanti was riding high off of the success from her debut self-titled album, Ashanti. We here at ESSENCE were gearing up for our annual ESSENCE Festival and wanted to put together an all-star line up to honor one of music's best vocalists, Luther Vandross. To tribute the "Never Too Much" singer, we invited newcomers to join seasoned artists. Ashanti graced the stage with Usher, Patti LaBelle, Faith Evans, Gerald Levert, Ron Isley and Kelly Price. To say the tribute was amazing would be an understatement.
- President Obama to Sign Executive Order Creating 21st Century Task Force
- Quvenzhané Wallis Steals Her 'Annie' Co-Star Jamie Foxx's Heart in Our ESSENCE Cover Story
- Tessa Thompson to Star Alongside Michael B. Jordan in Upcoming 'Rocky' Spinoff, 'Creed'
- Stevie Wonder Welcomes Baby No. 9, a Daughter!
- David Oyelowo on Playing MLK: 'I Couldn't Have Done it Without God's Help'
- #Nope, Black Twitter Wasn't Feeling VH1's 'Sorority Sisters'
- Whoopi Goldberg: What Obamas Experienced Is Not 'Real Racism'
- ESSENCE Poll: Does Your Family Support Your Religious and Political Views?