Nearly two weeks ago, 234 schoolgirls between the ages of 16 and 18 were abducted from their school in Chibok, Nigeria. The young women were taken at gunpoint by what many believe to be members of a militant group called Boko Haram. About 50 girls managed to escape in the first days after being kidnapped but approximately 220 remain missing.
In response to the abductions, women in Nigeria are planning to hold a million woman march Wednesday in hopes of aiding in the release of the girls. Professor Hauwa Abdu Biu, the march organizer has named the effort "Free Our Girls" reports The Root.
Participants throughout the country are wearing red to show solidarity. Biu says, "The last time we were in black, but this time around the color for the Abuja is red, so we should all be prepared and mobilize ourselves for the rally."
Speculations that the girls have been taken to Chad and Cameroon to be married to Boko Haram militants have been circulating. The Washington Post reports that Samson Dawah, a Nigerian man whose niece was captured said, "We have heard from members of the forest community where they took the girls. They said there had been mass marriages and the girls are being shared out as wives among the Boko Haram militants."
The Nigerian government has yet to confirm the claims, but the families of the missing girls are asking that the government do more to find its missing citizens.
To get involved, keep the conversation going by using the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag or by signing this petition calling for the UN to work with the Nigerian government to bring back the girls kidnapped by Boko Haram.