If you’re in need of get-glam tips and tricks, help is here. Each week, our guest beauty expert and celebrity makeup artist, Tia Dantzler, will answer your most pressing questions, share expert advice and recommend must-have products.
Q. I have teeny-tiny eyelashes, and I can't deal with false eyelashes everyday. What do you recommend for bringing out my own lashes for a natural, daytime look?
A. Mascara is definitely a must for instantly dressing up your look. To really maximize your own lashes I have a few steps that will help you achieve longer, fuller lashes with flair.
• Start off by using a mascara primer which coats lashes in preparation of the mascara for long-lasting results.
• Curl your lashes to really extend and maximize your length. Be gentle when using the eyelash curler so you don't pull out your lashes.
• Apply two coats of mascara that lengthens and thickens for great definition. Beginning at the base of the eyelash, apply the mascara by wiggling the wand back and forth, moving toward the tips of the lashes for a thicker appearance.
• Next apply a coat to the tips of your lashes to really extend your lashes. Using a clean mascara wand go back through your lashes to separate and distribute the product evenly.
• When using your mascara avoid pumping the wand up and down to prevent trapping air in the tube, which could dry your product out.
Got a beauty or makeup question for Tia? Email it to BeautyEditors@essence.com.
Tia Dantzler is a celebrity makeup artist who counts President Barack Obama, Jennifer Hudson, Viola Davis and Kanye West as some of her clients. Her instructional DVD, Red Carpet Beauty Secrets, offers get-glam tips for the beauty lover on a budget. Follow her @TiaDantzler.